On October 13th, 1954 a meeting was held at the Garland Community Hall to discuss forming a fire department for the Village of Garland and the surrounding area.
On January 31st, 1955 The Glenn Horn Family donated land for the use of the fire department on Main Street in Garland.
On April 4th, 1955 the Charter Members signed an application for Charter of the Garland Volunteer Fire Association. On June 23rd, 1955 the application was recorded with the Court of Common Pleas of Warren County and the Garland Volunteer Fire Association was officially formed as a nonprofit corporation in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. At that time the Association had $2,000 cash assets.
On April 11th, 1955 The first fire truck, a 19?? International, was purchased from Evans Center, NY.
In July of 1955 Members begin construction of a cement block Fire Barn on the land donated by the Horn Family. In the early 1970's an addition was added to the rear of the truck bays for social functions.
The First NEW Fire Truck, a 1961 Ford F-750, was purchased from the Young Fire Equipment in April of 1961.
In 1993 construction begins on a new metal clear span building located on Bailey Ln behind the original fire station.
The Garland VFD has only had 7 different Fire Chiefs and 14 different Presidents over the last 59 years. Membership has fluctuated up and down over the course of the years but they have always strived to provide the best emergency services possible.
Over the last 50+ years the fire dept. has grown and adapted to various changes and the needs of equipment have also changed. Take a look at our photo gallery to see some of the past and current equipment.
Our response area covers a portion of Pittsfield Township and a portion of Deerfield Township, including the Villages of Garland, Pittsfield and Torpedo.
The members of the Garland Volunteer Fire Department spend countless hours on fund raisers, training, maintenance of equipment and building and of course responding to emergencies. We pride ourselves in providing the most superior services possible. We truly care about our neighbors and their needs in an emergency situation.
Our monthly meetings are held at the fire hall on the second Tuesday of every month at 6:30 pm.